POOL LIFE

POOL LIFE

NIGHTLIFE

NIGHTLIFE

Sunday, July 12, 2009

King's Highway


A few months ago I was skating Burnside Skate park early one morning before catching a flight home to St. Louis.. The whole flight I was thinking "with all the urban wasteland in STL, all these old bridges and hidden concrete flats that never see the light of day, why not start a project in Saint Louis??"

Well I got home unpacked my bags, and before I could sit down to do nothing I got a call that I should go check out what the kids are doing at King's Highway. So I did, and next thing I know we were throwing tranny down on jersey barriers. Since then some strong bank/ledges & some ill-legit obstacles have been built, destroyed by urethane, patched, painted, & ridden again. The mickey mouse style of building has to mutate into making things the proper way and sticking to code if we really want to impress these city officials. Also it is just easier and more cost efficient to build correctly the first time. Now many months have gone by.. There is rumor with fairly strong foundations that the city accepts what skaters are doing there and have given a green light.







So anyway the Hermann's Hole building crew wanted to help by putting a ramp under the bridge that actually is set to building code.. We had a week long build planned for the jungle facility and decided to take one day into the city to throw down the first section of what could easily be a bowl soon.. With a few leftover garden products and proper motivation we made this quarter pipe.





Yes it has a steel cage, 6 inches of concrete, and is not gonna break apart... If you wanna help go to the bridge... Between the quarter pipe and bank to wall there is a pallet to add sacks of crete.. Maybe more to come in the future.